Monday, October 11, 2004

Women of Virtue

This weekend, I attended a women's conference at my church. The main speaker was a woman named Vicki Courtney. Her latest book, The Virtuous Woman: Shattering the Superwoman Myth, takes a look at the Proverbs 31 woman and what she might be like today. Vicki was a great speaker, and I learned a lot. The music was also wonderful. Praise songs were led by Amy Nobles and her all girl band. They were awesome!! I highly recommend checking out their CD's. (On a side note, their producer, Ross King is also worth checking out.) It is so great when praise and worship time is really a time on focusing on God and not just a time to sing. I was really moved by both Vicki and Amy, and I am even thinking of writing a book based on some of the things I learned. I'll get back to y'all as that idea develops.

I also went to a wedding reception of an old friend this weekend. My friend Jonathan married a beautiful girl named Ela in Turkey last month, and they had a reception for all of his Texas friends and family. I had a wonderful time catching up with a few old friends and reliving good times. I always find it so interesting that friends can be apart for years, even decades, and yet when reunited the same warmth and rapport still exists. Friends rock!!

Finally, a verse for the day. Praise God for always being great, even in our times of adversity.

Habakkuk 3:17-19

17 Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, 18 yet I will rejoice in the LORD , I will be joyful in God my Savior. 19 The Sovereign LORD is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights.


No comments: