Thursday, October 21, 2004

Patience and Politics

As most of you know, I spend my day surrounded by 19 fifth graders. Most days, we all get along just fine and I really like being around them. This week, however, my patience is almost gone. Maybe it's the warm front, but the kids are bouncing off the walls. So, my question for the day - other than prayer, how do you refill your patience jar when there's only one marble left in it? (Bonus question - how do you keep that last marble in the jar?)

Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Ephesians 4:2

With the elections drawing nearer, there has been much lunchroom discussion about people's opinions and beliefs. I consider myself a moderate independent. Sometimes I agree with one side, sometimes the other. Sometimes I disagree with both. In the spirit of free speech, here are my beliefs.

I believe that the majority of people are good, hardworking citizens who just want a comfortable life for themselves and their families.

I believe in the old adage about fishing. If you give a man a fish, he eats for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he eats for life. I believe in creating jobs that pay a decent wage, rather than increasing government handouts.

I believe that education is the foundation of a strong society. I think that if we invested more resources in education (academic, vocational, community, & family) that we would eventually need to invest less in the penal and welfare systems.

I believe that the best defense is a strong offense - that we should have the strongest intelligence and military forces in the world. I believe that service members and veterans should be thanked on a daily basis.

I believe that we are destroying our world. Every day, species become extinct and ecosystems are unalterably changed. I believe that we continue to be poor stewards of the resources we've been blessed with. I believe that alternatives to fossil fuels, such as solar power, wind power, and vegetable oils, must be utilized.

I think we are returning to a Robber Baron state, if we ever really left one - that a handful of millionaires and billionaires determine the majority of what America reads, watches, listens to, and purchases. This scares me quite a bit. I also think that big lobbyists, like the gun, pharmaceutical, and tobacco lobbies have WAY too much power.

Finally, I believe in America. I think the ideas our country is based upon still hold true. I think we are a young nation with much promise, even with our growing pains.

Whatever you believe, please put those thoughts into actions and VOTE!!

No comments: