Thursday, October 06, 2005

Biological and Adopted Kids

I read a story yesterday on CNN that announced that Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise are expecting a baby. Since I am not a fan of either, I just skimmed the article. One sentence grabbed my attention and really angered me.

"The child would be Cruise's first biological child. He adopted two children with actress Nicole Kidman before their marriage ended in divorce in 2001."

I have seen this before, but it never ceases to anger me when the media treats adopted children as though they don't count as much as biological children. What does the fact that Cruise's kids are adopted have to do with anything? His kids are his kids. The article should have read something like "This will be Holmes' first child and Cruise's third." I am not adopted, but I plan on adopting my own daughter from China in a few years. Does CNN think that my daughter won't be just as loved or as legitimate as any children I might give birth to?

When you let a child into your heart, they're yours. Forever. My daughter will be my daughter from day one, and I'll be the only Mommy she ever knows. I intend to love the stuffin' out of her and no one, not even CNN, will be able to weaken our bond.

No comments: