Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Brad & Jen, Ben & Jen, Trash & Lies

As most of the country has, I'm sure, heard, Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston have separated. Last night I saw that one of those entertainment shows was doing a whole 30 minutes on the breakup. Another led with it for, I guess, about fifteen minutes or so. The major questions these "journalists" attempted to answer were things like What caused the breakup? Was it a baby? (One wants kids, the other doesn't) Was it Angelina Jolie? Was there a pre-nup? (Who cares?) Are they dating anyone else yet? (Good lord! They just broke up on Friday!!) I also caught clips in the last few weeks of celebs like Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner. The focus on them seems to be all about if they're getting married and if she's pregnant.

Now, it must be said that I love entertainment. I love movies and television. In fact, I even have a few screenplays in progress. However, I think there is a very definite limit on what I have a right to know. I could watch a dozen shows a day on what movies are in the works, who's starring in what, and how movies are made. I also like shows like Inside the Actors' Studio. I think that when you choose a public career, that your work and talent are up for public critique.

However, some topics, like home life, marriage, children, illnesses, family members' troubles, etc. should be off limits. If someone wants to share their wedding pictures, great, I'd love to see them. If a celeb wants to show off their new baby or a new house, bring it on. Like anyone else, I hope they're happy, I pray they know Christ, and I wish them well. All other aspects of their personal lives are just that - personal, and none of our business.

The most troubling part of this whole Hollywood scene are the media. I've always known that supermarket tabloids were trash, but I used to think that magazines like People and US Weekly were alright. In the past few years, though they seem to cover pretty much the same topics the tabloids do. They all feed the paparazzi machine of lies and personal invasion.

So, in light of these events and realizations, I commit to even further scour down my entertainment sources. No more lifestyle shows and gossip shows. No more magazines that use others' pain as entertainment. I invite you all to look at your own sources of entertainment and do a similar bit of housecleaning.

No comments: