Saturday, March 13, 2010

Leaves of Grass and Baby Steps

Tonight was the first night of SXSW 2010.  For my first film of the festival, I chose to see Leaves of Grass, which was written and directed by Tim Blake Nelson and stars Edward Norton (as twins), Tim Blake Nelson, Keri Russell, and Melanie Lynskey.  I have deep respect for all of these actors, so it was the obvious choice for the evening.

I arrived over an hour before the screening, but became worried when I saw the 100 or so people who were already in line.  I was in the last group to be let into the lobby, and almost didn't make it inside.  I was third in line, behind a pair of friends, when the usher came out and said that there was only one seat left.  Rather than be separated, these lovely ladies decided to give me the one remaining seat, since I was alone.  I have been praying since then that God bless these two women with something amazing this week to thank them for the wonderful experience they gave me.  I was literally the last person seated.

The movie, about an academic who returns home to rural Oklahoma when he believes his twin brother has been murdered, was really well done.  Norton and Nelson create a fascinating world that is both fantastic and believable at the same time.  The film is hilarious, but also touching and surprising.  Very few films surprise me, and this story had more than one shocking moment that I never saw coming.  Norton is brilliant as both the tightly controlled professor Bill and charming pot dealer loser Brady.  Leaves of Grass is truly a special experience.

After the film Nelson and Norton did a q&a, and both were well spoken and kind.  After the movie let out, Edward Norton came up next to me in the hallway.  Now, I have to explain that I have been near celebrities before, both in public and professional settings, but I never approach them.  I feel that if an actor is just out and about, living their life, that they deserve their privacy.  Also, because of my previous size, I felt embarrassed to be seen, so I didn't seek attention.

Tonight, though, I approached Mr. Norton, shook his hand, told him that I have a great respect for his talent and that I thought he had made a wonderful film.  He was gracious and charming, and went on with his night.  This was really important to me for three reasons.  First of all, it's EDWARD NORTON!!!  Squee!!  Secondly, I was given the rare chance to express my appreciation to a film actor.  In theater productions, the actors give their all, and the audience gives back to them by appropriate responses during the performance and applause at the end.  The audience gets to thank the cast and crew for their hard work.  In film and television, that rarely happens.  I felt really good getting to give something back to an actor who had given a great performance.  Finally, I was excited because I stepped out of  my shell and didn't feel ashamed of myself.  I felt normal and not-at-all-freakish, which is a new feeling for me.

It was a really special night, that I hope is just a preview of the magic waiting for me this week.

No comments: